lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Patrick Turcotte" <pat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there any way to optimize existing unoptimized index?
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 04:37:53 GMT
Hi,

>From my own experience, yes, you can.

You just have to reopen your index with a new IndexWriter (making sure you
don't use a constructor that will recreate it; from the javadoc, stay clear
of those with a boolean argument). Then call optimize() then close() on your
writer, it will be optimized for you.

I think you can also use Luke (google Luke Lucene) to do this.

In any cases, I suggest you backup your index before trying, just to be
sure.

Hope this helps.

Patrick