lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ruslan Sivak <rsi...@istandfor.com>
Subject optimizing single document searches
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:25:15 GMT
I am using Lucene in a little bit weird way, instead of searching all
the documents for a specific query, I am searching a single document for
many specific queries.

On a single document of 10k characters, doing about 40k searches takes
about 5 seconds.  This is not bad, but I was wondering if I can somehow
speed this up.  It also takes about 5 seconds to generate the
searchTerms (which is fine, since I will do it once and cache it).

I'm not sure what information would be needed, but my queries look
something like this:

"Brooklyn NY"

I am currently using SpanNearQuery with a slop of 0 and inOrder of
false.  Is there perhaps another type of Query I can use to speed things
up?  TermQuery doesn't work since I have multiple terms, and PhraseQuery
seems to take around the same time, and is not compatible with
SpanNearQuery (I later merge this query with another in a SpanNearQuery).

I can live without merging this into the SpanNearQuery, as long as I can
find something that can do the 40k searches faster.

Russ