lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Positions in SpanFirst
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 01:25:51 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : So I don't see why using a SpanNear that respects order and a large
> : IncrementGap won't solve your problem...... Although it would return "odd"
>
> i think the use case he's worreid about is that he needs to be able to
> find matches just on the "start" of a persons name, ie...
>
> 	Email#1 To: Jim Bob; Sue Anne-Marie Brown; John Doe
> 	Email#2 To: Tom Smith; Bob Jones; John Doe
>
> ...he needs to support existing semantics that let him say "find emails
> where the start of a persons name is 'bob' and it returns Email#2, but not
> email#1 .. hence his interest in SpanFirst -- he wants to match the
> "first" few tokens of a "value" added to a field (which isn't waht
> SpanFirst does)

Correct.  That's one of the current search mechanisms.  It's not a major issue
and I think I'll probably end up ducking it on the basis that the system
directory defaults to a surname/firstname name order, but of course there's no
guarantee that mail from other systems will have those names in that order, e.g.

#1 To: Bowesman Antony
#2 To: Antony Bowesman

makes this 'starts with' feature less useful.

Thanks again Hoss and Erick for the suggestions!  This list is excellent and I
do wonder if you guys actually have day jobs that you are able to do as well as
give the amount of time you seem to on this list!

Antony