lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: about merge factor
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:14:47 GMT
Not sensible at all. First, a merge above something like 90 most likely
never makes since. Second, I have done some testing and my results show
that if you optimize the index after loading, the merge factor really
doesn't matter so keep it at 10 (I never used a max merge docs below 50.
100 worked best, 1,000 and 2,000 slowed things down even though the test
had access to 600MB RAM and the docs where around 10-20k each). Setting
up a test harness that automatically indexes a good amount of docs (I
did 20,000) with a variety of settings will tell you a lot. Things will
obviously bend based on your setup.

- Mark

maureen tanuwidjaja wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I just wondering wheter is it sensible and possible if I have 660,000  documents to
be indexed,I set the merge factor to 660,000 instead of  the default value 10 (...and this
means no merge while indexing) and  later after closing the index,I use the IndexWriter to
optimize/merge  the whole index file...