lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merge factor problem,
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:29:46 GMT
 From my experience: if you are going to optimize your index after
not matter what you set the merge factor to during the load. If you have
a healthy max buffered docs set, the merge factor will not affect the
speed at all - 10, 50, 90, 120, it does not matter. Whether that is
because a high max buffered causes all of the merges to occur in RAM or
the optimize causes you to pay the dues you got from the altered merge
factor, I do not know. I do know that max merged docs is generally the
biggy for batch loading. Watch out though, setting max merged docs too
high will cause you to miss the speed sweetspot.

- Mark