lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Guther" <Andreas.Gut...@markettools.com>
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:37:20 GMT
Hi,

I am seeking for a best practice recommendation regarding distributed
write access to a Lucene index.

We have the following scenario:

* Our Lucene index is on a shared drive.
* The Lucene lock folder is on the same shared drive
* Our web application writing to the index will run on multiple
instances, i.e. we will have concurrent write access from applications
running on different servers

What might be the best approach to make sure that different web
applications will not send an index command to Lucene before Lucene has
release the lock.

One idea that comes to my mind is to check if there is a lock file in
the shared lock folder.

Another idea is to maintain my own shared lock file, but I probably have
the burden to synchronize the access to that file in a safe manner.

I am curious how other developer solve this problem.

Thanks in advance for any hint or input.

Andreas