lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>
Subject remote index update question
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:30:40 GMT
Hello,

I have 5 remote indexes being updated
using the following methods:

1. one machine indexes documents
and creates lucene doc objects.
2. lucene docs are batched, put into maps
3. maps are serialized and posted over http to servlets
on each remote machine.
4. receiving servlets get maps, pull out docs and index them.

Each map holds about 1K lucene docs, everything works dandy.

My question is regarding the remote indexes continuously being
updated. These are unique, not multiple copies of each other.

When do index readers need to be opened and closed (to refresh data)
and does outside searching need to be turned off during updates?

Also, assuming this runs hourly, and if I need to close then open
each time,
how can a seamless user experience (no frozen queries, minimal delays)
be achieved?

Thanks.

Peter W.