lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: filtering by first letter
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:39:43 GMT
See TermEnum (I don't think you need TermDocs for this). If you instantiate
a TermEnum(new Term("firstletterfield", "")), it'll enumerate all the terms
in your 'firstletter' field and you can just collect them and go...

For that matter, and assuming that your names are UN_TOKENIZED, you could do
something like this without a special field by iterating over your
personName field. This might be reasonable if your index is fairly static
and you could create this list at IndexReader open time, especially since
you can use TermEnum.skipTo("personName", "a") etc.....

Best
Erick