lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Returning only a small set of results
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:59:35 GMT
See TopDocs, HitCollector, etc. You'll have to dig through the documentation
and try a few experiments to make sense of it all, one sentence explanations
aren't much help.

But think of Hits as a convenience class for getting the best-scoring 100
documents and use the other classes if you want to get *all* the documents.
Don't go to the other classes unless you start getting performance problems
with Hits. The main take-away from Hits is that it'll re-execute the query
every 100 documents you read from it or so, so the only time you care is
when you find yourself assembling large numbers of documents...

Erick