lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ronnie Kolehmainen <>
Subject Re: Empty search
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:32:12 GMT
If you are refering to QueryParser, and if you mean that you want
Lucene to *find everything* when you actually say *search for
nothing*, you could easily extend current Queryparser to suit your

public class MyQueryParser extends QueryParser
     public MyQueryParser(String f, Analyzer a)
         super(f, a);

     public Query parse(String query) throws ParseException
         if (null == query || query.trim().length() == 0)
             return new MatchAllDocsQuery();
         return super.parse(query);

Quoting "Kainth, Sachin" <>:

> Is it my imagination or does lucene produce an error if you present it
> with an empty string to search for?
> This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright
> protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this
> communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly
> agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be
> legally binding.
> The ultimate parent company of the Atkins Group is WS Atkins plc.
> Registered in England No. 1885586.  Registered Office Woodcote
> Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5BW.
> Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you
> really need to.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message