lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: searchs based on text
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:40:46 GMT
Take a look at the "MoreLikeThis" class in the "contrib" section will reduce large amounts
of text like your example paragraphs to only the "important" words which are useful for searching
and provide you with a query object you can run.

The disadvantage of trying to feed your example content through the default QueryParser is:
1) It will reject any illegal query syntax (e.g. unclosed brackets ) in your text
2) It may throw a TooManyClauses exception if the text is too long (the default limit is 1024
terms)
3) Your query is likely to take a long time to execute because of the large number of query
terms used.

Cheers,
Mark

----- Original Message ----
From: Ricardo Pereira da Silva <ricardo.psilva@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, 27 February, 2007 2:43:17 PM
Subject: searchs based on text

I've started to study Lucene just today and the demos give me much
information on how
to begin to use it.

But I have one doubt that I couldn't resolve reading the docs and the demo
sources:
 All the examples just search in the index by just a single word, but I need
to know
 if it's possible to search in the index using a reference text.

 Let me explain:
  supose that a web user reaches the search page of my commercial website
and needs
  to find a solution about some trouble. Then he types a long text (about
three or four paragraphs)
  and next clicks on the search button.

  In this cenario, it's that possible to perform a search through the index
using that long text?

  What I need it's something just like the Help system of microsoft office.

  I apreciate if someone could give me some directions.

 Best Regards.

 Ricardo Pereira - Brazil

 PS: If someone finds some error in this text, please submit me the
corrections. I'll apreciate the indications.
     I don't have money to do a great english course and I have try to learn
by myself usind the BBC site.