lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael McCandless" <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Open & Close Reader
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:47:30 GMT

<MATHIEU.DECAFFMAYER@fortis.lu> wrote:

> I need to merge indexes,
> if I want the user to see the changes (the merged indexes), I heard I
> need to close the index reader and re-open it again.

Yes.  More generally, whenever there have been changes to an index
that you want your readers/searchers to see, you need to re-open the
reader/searcher.  A reader keeps a "point in time" view of the index
as of when it was open, and will not show any changes until it is
re-opened.

> But I will need to do this avery x minutes for some reasons,
> So I wondered what could happen if user does a query just when a re-open
> of the reader has been done.

I don't really understand this question -- could you provide more
detail here?

Mike