lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Graham Stead" <gst...@ieee.org>
Subject RE: Lucene Web Service
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:30:17 GMT
Solr provides an XML interface to everything: index adds, deletes, updates,
searches, highlights, explanations, facets, commits, and optimize
statements. I'm sure I've forgotten some :)

It also supports JSON, as well as some other formats, if you prefer that.
The Solr wiki explains how it works.

Yes, Solr uses Lucene, although that detail is abstracted away from your
application. If for some reason you must use dotLucene, then Solr will not
be helpful. If you want web service access to Lucene and/or Lucene indexes,
Solr is very helpful (in addition to providing caching and faceted search
features not found in Lucene).

HTH,
-Graham