lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: query parser syntax -- does "-" require no-space after it to act as "prohibitor"?
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:04:45 GMT
On 1/23/07, Felix Litman <f_litman@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Does a special character lika a "-" prohibitor operator require no-space after it in
order to work as a prohibitor?

>   Typically on the web, e.g. Google and others, the "-" operator works as a boolean prohibitor
only when not followed by a space. Otherwise it is treated as just a dash query term.

>   But in our Lucene implementation the the "-" seem to be acting as a prohibitor even
if there is space after it.   For example. in a query:  Sales +    service    , the 'service'
term is excluded by Lucene.  (Same for the "+" operator.)

>   Is this space-treatment a bug or a standard Lucene query parser behavior?

I think this is expected, and changing it would be more confusing.  Consider:
If "-" is expected to find a dash, surely "-x" should find a dash
followed by an x?

If you want literals, put quotes around your terms...
"Sales +    service"

-Yonik