lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene and queries
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:04:14 GMT

: There's no syntax I know of that'll give you this kind of query out of the
: box. The closest thing would be span queries, which will give you things
: like A**B, meaning "give me all documents where A is NOT MORE THAN 2 words
: away from B. This is not what you're asking for, since it would also return
: A*B and AB though...

there's also some ambiguity in wether or not the "*"s inthese examples can
be any term, or must not be the other terms you are dealing wiht (ie: does
"A A A" match #1 and #3? ... does "A A B B B" match #2.

: > give me all documents with word A followed by exactly two words
: > give me all documents with words A and B exactly separated by 2 words and
: > word B followed by one word
: > give me all documents with word A prefixed by exactly two words

-Hoss