lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: All readers must have same maxDoc: 16651064!=16507074
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:56:30 GMT
Rob,

"Rob Staveley (Tom)" <rstaveley@seseit.com> wrote on 05/01/2007 06:18:10:
> I'm attempting to delete documents matching a term on a ParallelReader
and
> got the error message above, presumably while adding directories to the
> ParallelReader.

See the javadocs for ParallelReader -
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/index/ParallelReader.html
 -
-------------------
An IndexReader which reads multiple, parallel indexes. Each index added
must have the same number of documents, but typically each contains
different fields. Each document contains the union of the fields of all
documents with the same document number. When searching, matches for a
query term are from the first index added that has the field.

This is useful, e.g., with collections that have large fields which change
rarely and small fields that change more frequently. The smaller fields may
be re-indexed in a new index and both indexes may be searched together.

Warning: It is up to you to make sure all indexes are created and modified
the same way. For example, if you add documents to one index, you need to
add the same documents in the same order to the other indexes. Failure to
do so will result in undefined behavior.
-------------------

In other words, ParallelReader operates under the assumption that you split
your index to several indexes, [**] by fields [**] , so each index has
exactly the same number of documents.

> I'm puzzled, because I don't need to have the same maxDoc (and numDoc) in
> index directories for a ParallelMultiSearcher, so what's the deal here?
> Should I delete serially... one index at a time?

MultiSearcher and ParallelMultiReader are different - they operate against
a set of Searchables (not a set of Readers) and aggregate results from
those searchers. They operate under the assumption that you split your
indexed data [**] by documents [**] , so that there are distinct documents
in each index.

Hope this helps,
Doron