lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Long Query Performance
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:36:45 GMT
"MoreLikeThis.java" is in the "contrib" section of SVN and this will help optimise your queries
to searching for only the most discriminating terms.
On a large index, very common terms can really kill performance (reading lots of docIds from
disk) and the MoreLikeThis class will help to trim your query terms down to avoid such words.

This will still take some time to run but at least the job sounds like one that can easily
be split to run in parallel on multiple machines (assuming you have some to hand!)

Cheers
Mark

----- Original Message ----
From: Somnath Banerjee <somnath.banerjee@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, 22 January, 2007 1:28:20 PM
Subject: Re: Long Query Performance

Thanks for the reply. Good guess I think.

DB (Index) is basically a collection of encyclopedia documents. Queries are
also a collection of documents but of various domains. My task is to find
out for each "query document" top 100 matching encyclopedia contents.

I tried by using only the title of (5-8 words) the query documents instead
of full text of the document. But that is also taking 0.5-1 sec for each
query. That's mean it will also take nearly 6 and half days to run
0.72Mqueries (and expectedly the precision will suffer).

Thanks,
Somnath