lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Speed of grouped queries
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:37:21 GMT
Hi Scott,

sdeck wrote:
> I guess, any ideas why I would run out of heap memory by combining all of
> those boolean queries together and then running the query? What is happening
> in the background that would make that occur? Is it storing something in
> memory, like all of the common terms or something, to cause that to occur?

Doug Cutting gives a formula for Lucene memory usage for queries here
(from 2001):

<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/200111.mbox/%3c4BC270C6AB8AD411AD0B00B0D0493DF0D78A1C@mail.grandcentral.com%3e>

And some more info here about the term dictionary (from 2003):

<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-dev/200305.mbox/%3c3EC555CE.4080906@lucene.com%3e>

You might want to look at this thread, which has some discussion about
omitting norms and the term dictionary (from 2005):

<http://www.nabble.com/Memory-Usage-tf523535.html>