lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Speed of grouped queries
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:32:11 GMT
Hi Sdeck,

sdeck wrote:
> The query for collecting a specific actor is around 200-300 milliseconds,
> and the movie one, that actually queries each actor, takes roughly 500-700
> milliseconds. Yet, for a genre, where you may have 50-100 movies, it takes
> 500 milliseconds*# of movies

I'm having trouble visualizing both what your documents and your queries
look like.  Can you please provide more concrete information?
Sometimes, actual code helps.

For example, how do actors, movies and genres relate to your documents?
 Do you have some external source(s) of information (i.e. external to
your Lucene index) that relate actors to movies?  And movies to genres?

If actors, movies and genres are supposed to be a metaphor for what
you're "really" representing, then you'll have to extend your metaphor a
little bit to make sense (for "me" anyway) of what you're trying to "do".

Steve