lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and queries
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:14:20 GMT
My question is "what are you trying to accomplish"? The reason I ask is that
all three queries pre-suppose that the search you're performing is on a very
precisely defined fields. (1) supposes a field where the A is exactly three
words from the end. (3) supposes the A is exactly three words from the
beginning. (2) must be a field that has the A exactly 5 words from the end
and B exactly two words from the end. This seems kind of an odd requirement
and doesn't map into problem spaces I'm familiar with. I wonder if there are
parts of your problem you're leaving out, for instance "in a sentence" or
some such....

I'm pretty sure the information you need to create a custom HitCollector is
in the index, and there are a bunch of indexing tricks you can play to make
this easier, but I suspect the contributors to this list will have much more
helpful answers for you if you add a bit of detail....

There's no syntax I know of that'll give you this kind of query out of the
box. The closest thing would be span queries, which will give you things
like A**B, meaning "give me all documents where A is NOT MORE THAN 2 words
away from B. This is not what you're asking for, since it would also return
A*B and AB though...

Best
Erick