lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: When to use HitCollector?
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 22:49:11 GMT
I'm a little fuzzy on the structure of your index, but here's a stab....

First, let me see if I understand your problem...
For an e-mail, you have a body and an attachment that are indexed as
separate lucene documents.
For the body, you include from, to, cc (in other words, meta-data)
For the attachment, you do NOT include the meta-data.
For both the body and the attachment, you have an ID for the parent e-mail
that is the same for a body and attachment if they are from the same e-mail
(otherwise I don't see how you "determine the email to display" for an
attachment).

You've got a couple of problems here. Anything you do to break up the
clauses into separate queries will do bad things for your relevance scoring.
That is, one query on the body and one on the attachment will give you two
lists that you'll then have to manually reconcile if relevancy matters.

Depending upon how many emails and attachments you get hits for, you could
do something like
1> search for the body elements with the to/from/cc. Use the return (perhaps
with a HitCollector (definitely NOT a Hits object)) to assemble a clause
like ID=52343 or ID=985 or ID=8910 .... and the re-submit some query like

"text contains "search data" and (ID=52343 or ID=985 or ID=8910 ....)"

BEWARE that, depending upon how many e-mails you get, you'll run afoul of
TooManyClauses exceptions. The default is 1,024 but you can make it as big
as memory/time allows. And, as you say, this is temporary until you
reconstruct your index.

If this is totally irrelevant, perhaps you could add some more detail....

Best
Erick