lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Internals question
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:33:29 GMT
Le Lundi 22 Janvier 2007 19:33, EDMOND KEMOKAI a écrit :
> Hi All
> This is a question for those familiar with lucene document scoring. How
> does it compare with googles PageRank or HITS, or are they very different?
> I have being looking at the PageRank algorithm but I'll need to brush-off
> my math skills before delving into it:)

In fact Lucene is just a search engine. Then you can use the search engine to
search in web pages, like Nutch is using Lucene. And Google is more like
Nutch : a web crawler plus a web-search engine. So when you are taking about
page raking, it has nothing to do with Lucene scoring. Lucene scoring is how
about the result entry match your query. Page raking is more about how
relevant is the web page. So for a document, the Lucene scoring depends on
the query, and the page raking is quite absolute.

Nicolas