lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Song <delphi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: search in all fields
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:11:37 GMT
Here is my experience of getting a good search relevancy: pre processing is paramount.  Pre
process your data and using perl is much powerful and flexible then putting all the logic
in a customized analyzer.  And if you want to search multiple fields, create a field called
"all" and cat all the data there.  It is much better than using MultiFieldQuery.  MultiFieldQuery
just permutates your query with all default fields.  If you have more than 3 default fields,
the query starts to look unnecessarily complex.  However, there is one case that MultiFieldQuery
is needed: if you can't use the same tokenizer/analyzer for all default fields.

john

----- Original Message ----
From: David <zhouchengly@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:54:20 AM
Subject: search in all fields

Hi all:
     I study Lucene and I want build search on all the fields, I find
MultiFieldQueryParser can search on multiple fields, but we must specify
fields. maybe we can add a field named all_field that contain all the fields
when indexing, but it make the index file larger.
    so how to make search on all fields without specify any fields ?
Appreciate your help!
--
David