lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene scoring: coord_q_d factor
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:31:41 GMT
On 12/13/06, Karl Koch <TheRanger@gmx.net> wrote:
> To me, it seems that coordination level matching could be used if I don't want to use
TFxIDF but not together with it. In this context, I wonder what benefit the "coordination
level matching" has in combination with TFxIDF?

Well, if I search for blue kangaroo, the coord is nice to get
documents with "blue" and "kangaroo" to score higher than documents
with just one term.  And among documents with just one term, the idf
factor will make "kangaroo" rank above "blue", which is generally
desired.

I have seen complaints about the default similarity though, where the
coord factor does not give enough of a boost in relation to the idf of
some of the individual terms.

-Yonik