lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene id generation
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 05:34:34 GMT

Karl: it sounds like you are just refering to using the lucene docid as an
array index for the FieldCache of your "MyID" field ... that's a perfectly
valid use of the docid, the key being that you aren't expecting the id to
contain any meaningful data itself -- it's just a refrence number.

: > if you are trying to think of Lucene's docid as a meaningful
: > number, you
: > are doing something wrong.
:
: There is this one place where I use it. The index is add only, and
: the only data that interests me is the stored field MyID, also kept
: track in an int[docid]. In case of index operation that change docid,
: I simply repopulate the int[].
:
: I throw this MyID value around quite a bit, starting in the hit
: collector. It save me time from deserializing all hits.
:
: Is this reasonable?

-Hoss