lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: an alternative to optimize?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:59:49 GMT

: I haven't tried it, but according to http://lucene.apache.org/java/
: docs/fileformats.html, each segment is a complete sub index.  I
: _wonder_ if you couldn't manage your own merges by using
: IndexWriter.addIndexes() where you load each segment in separately
: (this may mean copying the segments to other directories, but I am

more specificly: opening an IndexReader on a an index with multiple
segments is functionally the same as opening a MultiReader on several
indexes with single segments.

so instead of having one index, and carefully controlling maxMergeDocs,
you could manually create many small indexes, all of which you
continiously optimize (both to remove deletions, and to keep the index at
a single segment) which you then explicly open a multi reader on.

-Hoss