lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Incremental Index and Comparing different Scores from different Index
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:54:20 GMT

: I have some questions about the scoring function and about how different
: scores can be compared.
: Querying indexday1 gives me some Hits with the best having score a
: Querying indexday2 gives me some Hits with the best having score b
: and so on .....
:
: Now how can I compare those scores, since the regular idf will be
: different in the formular of every index?! Am I right here?

the short answer is you can't, not with the DefaultSimilarity, but you
might be able to write a custom Similarity that makes the scores
comparable by making the idf function a NOOP (of course, then your scores
won't be as "good" -- for some definition of good, but that may not matter
to you)

this FAQ entry, and in particular the thread from teh second link in it
have a *lot* of more info on this...
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-912c1f237bb00259185353182948e5935f0c2f03

-Hoss