lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Sellman" <>
Subject Re: Rebuilding index on a regular basis
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:44:16 GMT
Note: I have changed the title of this thread to match its content

I am currently facing a similar issue.  I am dealing with a large index
that is constantly used and needs to be updated on a daily basis.  For
fear of corruption I would rather rebuild the index each time,
performing tests against it before using it.  However the problem I am
having is switching in the old index without causing service
interruption.  As long as queries are being made against the index I am
running into locking issues with the index files, preventing me from
putting the new index in place. Any suggestions?

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson []
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: MultiFieldQueryParser doesn't properly filter out documents
when the query string specifies to exclude certain terms

My first question is how many documents would you be deleting on a pass
option 2? If it's 10 documents out of 10,000, I'd consider just deleting
them and re-adding (see IndexModifier).

Personally, if posible, I prefer your first option, building a
new index and switching between them. This is especially useful if
catastrophic happens to the index as you build it and it winds up being
unusable (power failures *do* happen). You can keep using your old index
be happy.

Another question is how quickly the index builds and how soon do your
require that they get up-to-date data?

And remember that no matter what, you must re-open your searcher to see

I'd be really reluctant to remove all the items and re-build the index
several reasons...
1> You wouldn't get the new data being added until you closed/reopened
2> The documents you deleted wouldn't be "gone" until you
your searcher.
3> In the interim, your users wouldn't have access to much of