lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: an alternative to optimize?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:30:29 GMT
Are the search statistics the same for the MultiReader?  That is,
would a search on a MultiReader over several small indexes
necessarily return the same ranking as a single IndexReader on an
optimized reader?  Would they return the same actual scores?

Just curious, I haven't tried MultiReader, but the code seems like it
should, at least based on my quick glance at it.

-Grant

On Dec 1, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : I haven't tried it, but according to http://lucene.apache.org/java/
> : docs/fileformats.html, each segment is a complete sub index.  I
> : _wonder_ if you couldn't manage your own merges by using
> : IndexWriter.addIndexes() where you load each segment in separately
> : (this may mean copying the segments to other directories, but I am
>
> more specificly: opening an IndexReader on a an index with multiple
> segments is functionally the same as opening a MultiReader on several
> indexes with single segments.
>
> so instead of having one index, and carefully controlling
> maxMergeDocs,
> you could manually create many small indexes, all of which you
> continiously optimize (both to remove deletions, and to keep the
> index at
> a single segment) which you then explicly open a multi reader on.
>

> -Hoss

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org