lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mmoser <mmo...@balihoo.com>
Subject Re: Sorting by a percentage On a field
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 05:09:27 GMT

Thanks for your reply. We have currently thought about both of these
approaches, so that definitely makes me feel better about things. The first
approach you had mentioned, we had thought about our tagging problem and how
to make a product tag come to the top, but again, with a lot of tags, the
data becomes extremely large. Even if we were to take some magnitude and
apply it, it could possibly be huge due to an infinite number of tags.

The second approach we had considered doing a version almost like that. I
had considered that if we have a query such as the one you are talking about
mixed with other fields, then the query would be extremely big. Especially
if the user was looking for 15 attribute ids which would be 15 * 10 = 150
different ORed term searches alone  if we were only searching every 10
percent.

I definitely thank you for this input and would love to hear if anyone has
any other approaches. If not, we will probably attempt one of these routes
and see which one is a bigger storage / performance hit.

Mike