lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Full text searching on documents saved in database as BLOB
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:07:35 GMT
Lucene can work for this case, in case you can extract data out in
plain text format. So whether your data is in BLOB or on file disk
does not really matter, but you need to detect or tell what type of
BLOB content it is, either by filename or binary format.

Usually when storing BLOB content, there will be another column
storing the filename. Based on the filename extension, you can map to
a corresponding extracting API, for pdf, word doc, etc. The database
search software I am working on, DBSight, uses this method.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

On 11/30/06, Inderjeet Kalra <Inderjeet.Kalra@headstrong.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a query related to the full text searching on documents saved in
> database as BLOB. In our application, we are planning to save our
> documents in the database as BLOB and we have a requirement of searching
> a document on it's meta data and the content of the document i.e. search
> within document.
>

> Will Lucene serve our purpose, I have gone through the Lucene FAQs and
> various issues on the site but I am unable to find any references to the
> documents saved in the database as BLOB.
>

> 1. How can I search on the metadata of the document saved in the
> database as BLOB
>
> 2. How can I search on the content of the document i.e. search within
> the document saved in the database as BLOB
>

> If anyone has implemented the same functionality, can you suggest me any
> sample code so that i can start using lucene for the same.
>

> There is another search engine i.e. Oracle Text search engine which also
> does the same but which one is better ?
>

> Thanks & Regards
>
> Inderjeet
>

> ***The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,retransmission,dissemination
contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.***