lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aigner, Thomas" <>
Subject Reading Performance
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:14:46 GMT

Howdy all,

      I have a question on reading many documents and time to do this.
I have a loop on the hits object reading a record, then writing it to a
file.  When there is only 1 user on the Index Searcher, this process to
read say 100,000 takes around 3 seconds.  This is slow, but can be
acceptable.  When a few more users do searchers, this time to just read
from the hits object becomes well over 10 seconds, sometimes even 30+
seconds.  Is there a better way to read through and do something with
the hits information?  And yes, I have to read all of them to do this
particular task.

for (int i = 0;(i <= hits.length() - 1); i++)

      if (fw == null)

            fw = new BufferedWriter( new FileWriter( searchWriteSpec ),
8196) ;

      //Write Out records

      String tmpHold = "";

tmpHold = hits.doc(i).get("somefield1") + hits.doc(i).get("somefield2");

      fw.write(tmpHold + "\n" );

Any ideas on how to speed this up especially with multiple users?  Each
user gets their own class which has the above code in it.