lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Neumann" <neun...@gmail.com>
Subject Announcing: IBM OmniFind Yahoo! Edition
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:43:16 GMT
As you may have already heard, IBM and Yahoo! today released a new
product named IBM OmniFind Yahoo!
Edition<http://omnifind.ibm.yahoo.net/productinfo.php>.
It is a free-of-charge
search engine for web sites and file systems, which builds on Lucene
and other components such as UIMA <http://incubator.apache.org/uima/> and
IBM's LanguageWare<http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/languageware/index.jsp>text
analytics. Myself, I am Andreas Neumann, working for IBM, and one
of the developers of IBM OmniFind Yahoo! Edition.

Having worked on various other search technologies before, I knew that
a search engine, while appearing so simple to end-users, is a highly
complex piece of software. The more was I thrilled by Lucene. Its
flexible architecture and elegant interfaces make it a pleasure to
work with. At the same time it delivers space-efficient, very low
latency indexing and high-performance querying. Not to mention that
it is pure Java, relieving us developers from the otherwise tedious
task of porting our code to a variety of platforms and compilers.
Lucene is one of the few pieces of software that prove that
performance-critical software can indeed be written in Java.

But the best thing about Lucene is its community. When we started
working with Lucene less than a year ago, we were entering unknown
territory. We had some concerns, were looking for a few features,
missing some bug fixes... By now, all of the patches that we've been
wishing for have either been committed, or they are under discussion
now. This community really rocks!

Andreas.