lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Soeren Pekrul <soeren.pek...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Lucene scoring: coord_q_d factor
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:40:31 GMT
Karl Koch wrote:
> If I do not misunderstand that extract, I would say it suggests the  combination of coordination
level matching with IDF. I am interested in your view and those who read this?

I understand that sentence:
"The natural solution is to correlate a term's matching value with its
collection frequency."
exactly in that way, to combine coordination level matching with IDF.

The score for a document is the sum of the term weights w(tf, idf) for
each containing term. So you have already the combination of
coordination level matching with IDF. Now it is possible that your query
requests three terms A, B and C. Two of them (A and B) are quite often
in the collection one (C) is very rare. It could be possible that
documents are matching just C have a higher score than documents
containing A and B. To avoid this you can give the coordination a higher
influence by multiplying the sum of term weights with the coordination
as additional factor.

Sören