lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eric Jain <Eric.J...@isb-sib.ch>
Subject Re: SegmentReader using too much memory?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 04:24:17 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> There is no real document boost at the index level... it is simply
> multiplied into the boost for every field of that document.  So it
> comes down to what fields you want that index-time boost to take
> effect on (as well as length normalization).

Come to think of it, I do have two large indexes that don't really need any
document boosting, could perhaps save some memory there...

But what I still don't understand is why the amount of memory that is used
by SegmentReader.Norm.bytes keeps growing -- at first quite fast to about
150mb, then slower.

After startup:

11 x SegmentReader.Norm.bytes = 17mb

After searching some indexes once or twice times:

78 x SegmentReader.Norm.bytes = 79mb
  5 x SegmentReader.ones       = 16mb

After a few dozen queries on one of the indexes:

58 x SegmentReader.Norm.bytes = 158mb
  5 x SegmentReader.ones       = 16mb