lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Soeren Pekrul <soeren.pek...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: any ides on this type of analyzer?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:07:18 GMT
Hello Van,

it looks like splitting of compound words. This topic was discussed in
the thread "Analysis/tokenization of compound words"
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/40164?do=post_view_threaded).

The main idea is as follow:
You have a corpus (lexicon/dictionary). You want to split a word. Build
letter wise two part words and search them in the corpus. If you can
find them you can split your word at these parts. You can do that
recursively finding all sub-parts. This method searches the smallest
possible words. [1]
If you have a corpus without compound words you can have a better
quality by searching the largest possible words by searching the word
first and then splitting it if you couldn’t find it. Do this recursively
as well. [2]

Warning: The results are usually not linguistically correct. How ever,
the quality should be good enough for searching.

Sören

[1] C. Monz and M. De Rijke: Shallow Morphological Analysis in
Monolingual Information Retrieval for Dutch, German and Italian,
Language & Inference Technology, University of Amsterdam.

[2] Pasqualino Imbemba: A Splitter for German Compound Words, Free
University Of Bolzano, Bolzano, 2006