lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MultiFieldQueryParser doesn't properly filter out documents when the query string specifies to exclude certain terms
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:58:43 GMT
My first question is how many documents would you be deleting on a pass for
option 2? If it's 10 documents out of 10,000, I'd consider just deleting
them and re-adding (see IndexModifier).

Personally, if posible, I prefer your first option, building a completely
new index and switching between them. This is especially useful if something
catastrophic happens to the index as you build it and it winds up being
unusable (power failures *do* happen). You can keep using your old index and
be happy.

Another question is how quickly the index builds and how soon do your users
require that they get up-to-date data?

And remember that no matter what, you must re-open your searcher to see the
updates.

I'd be really reluctant to remove all the items and re-build the index for
several reasons...
1> You wouldn't get the new data being added until you closed/reopened your
searcher.
2> The documents you deleted wouldn't be "gone" until you closed/reopened
your searcher.
3> In the interim, your users wouldn't have access to much of anything....

Best
Erick