lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Full text searching on documents saved in database as BLOB
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:52:13 GMT
See this thread for an interesting Oracle-based solution. I admit I just
skimmed it, so it may not really apply....
*Oracle and Lucene Integration*

In general, you can't reach into an Oracle BLOB with lucene to search it
because you haven't created a Lucene index. One approach is to index the
BLOB data in the DB into a Lucene index, along with enough relevant metadata
to satisfy your needs. Include a unique DB id for each doc in your
index(es). Search the Lucene index then pull the remainder of the data from
the DB based upon the DB id you stored.

Search this mail archive for "database" and you'll see extensive discussions
of this topic, and many interesting ideas....

Be warned: Lucene does not support SQL-like constructs. You should use
lucene for efficient searching. If you have a need for dealing with
relations between documents, you'll need the capabilities of a DB and/or
clever indexing in Lucene. You can always use a hybrid solution....

Best
Erick