lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Mei" <vmsluc...@gmail.com>
Subject lucene functionality
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:42:54 GMT
At the bottom of this email is the sample xml file that we are using today.
We have about 10 million of these.

We need to know whether Lucene can support the following functionalities.
(1) Each field is searchable and indexable.
(2) Fields such as STARTTIME and ENDTIME need to be treated as a pair so
that we can apply timestamp operation such as search by data time ranges
(3) Fields such as DMA need to be treated as numerical and be able to use
math operators ( > < =) for those fields.

We also use Apache Commons Digester to parse the xml files. So we want to
know, can all of the above requirements be supported by combining both
Digester and Lucene together, or do we need other modules in order for us to
support those requirements?
If these functionalities can be supported, please tell us about the effort
involved (ie, do I need to rewrite 90% of Lucene/Digester to include support
for these requirements, or is it more like spending one/two afternoons
extending some classes ? )

<DOCUMENT>
  <DREREFERENCE>61926433</DREREFERENCE>
  <DREDBNAME>News</DREDBNAME>
  <SEGMENTID>61829557</SEGMENTID>
  <SHOWID>2051460</SHOWID>
  <PROGRAMID>21181</PROGRAMID>
  <PROGRAMNAME>Action 10 News This Morning</PROGRAMNAME>
  <PREFIX>wthi0600</PREFIX>
  <STATIONID>903</STATIONID>
  <STATIONNAME>WTHI-TV</STATIONNAME>
  <AFFILIATEID>17</AFFILIATEID>
  <AFFILIATENAME>CBS</AFFILIATENAME>
  <MARKETID>141</MARKETID>
  <MARKETNAME>Terre Haute</MARKETNAME>
  <MEDIATYPE>T</MEDIATYPE>
  <DMA>149</DMA>
  <SOURCETYPE>CC</SOURCETYPE>
  <STARTTIME>2005-07-04 06:00:00</STARTTIME>
  <ENDTIME>2005-07-04 07:00:00</ENDTIME>
  <STARTMETER>00:42:53</STARTMETER>
  <ENDMETER>00:45:02</ENDMETER>
  <DREDATE>2006-01-25 00:00:00</DREDATE>
  <DRETITLE>At we take you to break with a look at some of the fourth of
July fun going on around the wabash valley today.</DRETITLE>
  <DRECONTENT>At we take you to break with a look at some of the fourth of
July fun going on around the wabash valley today. This is action 10 news
this morning on wthi. He's been the US Attorney general for only a few
months. But alberto gonzales may already be in the running for a new job.
And not just any job, either.</DRECONTENT>
</DOCUMENT>