lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: toomanyclauses exception
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:33:46 GMT
On Wednesday 27 December 2006 16:53, Erick Erickson wrote:
> 3> Look over the SrndQuery classes. I don't fully understand these, but they
> certainly behave much differently in this area. Note that SrndQuery limits
> wildcards to having at least three non-wildcard characters.

In Lucene, the limit on the number of clauses is applied per (sub)query
that expands to a BooleanQuery.
In contrib/surround the limit on the maximum number of clauses
is applied for a full query including all subqueries.

The reason for the limitation in both cases is that each TermScorer
needs some buffer space, and without the limit Query.rewrite()
will run out of memory occasionaly.

Regards,
Paul Elschot