lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcelo Ochoa" <marcelo.oc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene functionality
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:20:33 GMT
Hi Chris:
<snip>

> > (1) Each field is searchable and indexable.
>
> ...and I assumed hte real problem is being ableto address use cases like
> "find all documents where the DRECONTENT contains the words "Action" and
> the words "News" near eachother -- using stemming and other Text Analysys
> tricks i may wnat to customize on a per field basis) which make me think
> Lucene is a better choice then a straight relational database.
  Yep, may be Mark can clarify the expected use cases for searching.
  But, the mixed mode can coexists.
  I am working on the Oracle/Lucene integration, so you can perfectly
store the content of the XML document in a relational table leaving
the DRECONTENT in a CLOB column and this column indexed with Lucene.
  Querying for /DOCUMENT/[DREREFERENCE=61926433] can be transformed by
the optimizer into a "select ... for ... where DREREFERENCE=61926433"
(using a btree implementation)
  and "find all documents where the DRECONTENT contains the words
"Action" " into
  select ... for where lcontains(DRECONTENT,'Action')>0
  The two world can coexists very well :)

> :   Yes, you can build an inverted index for 10 million documents
> : perfectly, but the XML documents showed look like a simple relational
> : data.
>
> again, perception ... nothing in the question asked about doing relational
> queries, so i don't think it's wise to immediately suggest a relational
> database as the "recommended" solution.
  Best regards, Marcelo.
--
Marcelo F. Ochoa