lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcelo Ochoa" <marcelo.oc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene functionality
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:53:25 GMT
Hi Chris:

On 12/13/06, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> :   For 10 million records We recommend an strong database such as Oracle.
>
> eh ... who is "We" in that statement?
  We are independent consultants working for many years with Oracle databases ;)

> I Suspect you'll find other people on this list who have no problems
> running Lucene indexes containing 10 million documents.
  I know that Lucene can manage more than 10 million documents
perfectly, but IMO the problem here is different, I think that the XML
showed on the example implied that searching a document by the xpath
/DOCUMENT/[DREREFERENCE=61926433] is like searching in a table by
primary key, not looking at the inverted index.

> If you want a database, then by all means use a database, but if you want
> a Lucene index of 10 million documents, you can build one.
  Yes, you can build an inverted index for 10 million documents
perfectly, but the XML documents showed look like a simple relational
data.

> -Hoss
  Best regards, Marcelo.
--