lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Van Nguyen" <vngu...@ur.com>
Subject RE: JAVA JVM Question
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:13:35 GMT
This is a different OOM error.  This one is due to Java heap space.
I've tried using Otis' suggestion and use the latest nightly build (I've
actually tried using 12/19/2006 and 12/20/2006)... but I am still
getting this OOS: Java heap space error.  I will try to profile this app
to see if I can get more info.

I've read about the PermGenSpace errors and I do get that from time to
time on redeploys and heard that Java 6 was suppose to handle garbage
collection better.  The only common classes are the ones provided by
JBoss.  We have taken to restarting the app server every time we deploy
an application... but we hope that that's not a permanent solution
because we do not want to take down all of our applications because we
need to redeploy one app.

Van

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Willnauer [mailto:simon.willnauer@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:11 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: JAVA JVM Question

OOM Errors are not uncommon during redeployment on application server
e.g. servlet container. Redeploy on Tomcat servers very often cause
OOM due to the perm gen space which get not GCed(that should go away
with 5.5). The JBoss can usually deal with these issue but just in
case you could check your PerGenSpace via JMX or some profiler to see
what happens with your loaded classes. If you redeploy in live /
production env. make sure you restart your app. server.
Do you use some common classes which are provided via parent
classloader of your application? This could also cause such problems.
If this is a PermGenSpace problem you might fix it by replacing one of
the components in your software stack. This issues has been widely
discussed and the finger of blame has been pointed to tomcat, cglib or
even your JVM impl.

best regards simon

On 12/20/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are you using 2.1-dev version of Lucene? Try the latest nightly build,
it as a fix for a certain OOM bug (see LUCENE-754).

> Otis

Application
> Server 4.04 w/ Apache HTTP Server 2.2.  My min/max JVM size is:
> 128MB/512MB.  On initial startup, everything works fine.  I'm able to
> search (although it takes a while doing the first search because it's
> everything's fine and dandy.  But if I stop the application and
> redeploy, I get an OutOfMemoryError when I search (when the index gets
> loaded into memory again).  I've tried this on both Java 5 and Java 6.
>

> When I stop the application, I made sure (or at least to the best of
my
> knowledge) that I close all searcher/reader/writer.  I'm pretty sure
> that there are no locks on the index.  I've tried increasing the
maximum
> JVM size to 1GB.  Now I can redeploy the application twice before it
> gives me the OutOfMemoryError.  It seems like the JVM isn't garbage
> collecting the index.
>

> So is this a JVM issue where the index is still in memory and it isn't
> being garbage collected?  Or am I not closing my
searcher/reader/writer