lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Streeton" <mike.stree...@ardentiasearch.com>
Subject RE: Using Lucene to search log files
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:35:47 GMT
I would use a RangeFilter instead of using the default Boolean query as
this will always break at some point with Too many Boolean clauses.
Extend QueryParser to sort this out.  As far as extracting information
from log files I would look at creating yourself a LogAnalyzer that can
interpret the contents and indexing it appropriately.

Hope this helps

Mike

www.ardentiasearch.com the home of NetSearch
-----Original Message-----
From: abdul aleem [mailto:janaabdulaleem@yahoo.com]
Sent: 11 December 2006 12:04
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Using Lucene to search log files

Hi All,

Im a Lucene newbie,

Requirement :
==============
a) Build a log viewer tool, search log files for
keywords and time stamp

b)  files in production approx 200 logs per day and
each log file may range from 1MB - 5MB

Lucene
========
We wanted to utilize Lucene's search capabilities
especially search all 200 log files content quickly

a) Search criteria:
    i) Timestamp search: Fetch contents between any
two timestamps

   ii) Fetch log file contents for specified keyword

Query
========
    a ) Would greatly appreciate if some suggestions
        whether Lucene will be appropriate tool for
the requirement ??

    b) I have tried to use SpanQuery however
struggling to fetch entire conents e.g. (between two
timestamps)

    c) I had also looked at
LargeScaleDateRangeProcessing in the wiki, is that a
right approach for the requirement

  Any help / suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

  Many thanks in advance,
  Abdul