lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Lucene to search log files
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:11:16 GMT
See below

On Dec 11, 2006, at 7:04 AM, abdul aleem wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Im a Lucene newbie,
>

> Requirement :
> ==============
> a) Build a log viewer tool, search log files for
> keywords and time stamp
>
> b)  files in production approx 200 logs per day and
> each log file may range from 1MB - 5MB
>
> Lucene
> ========
> We wanted to utilize Lucene's search capabilities
> especially search all 200 log files content quickly
>
> a) Search criteria:
>     i) Timestamp search: Fetch contents between any
> two timestamps
>
>    ii) Fetch log file contents for specified keyword
>

> Query
> ========
>     a ) Would greatly appreciate if some suggestions
>         whether Lucene will be appropriate tool for
> the requirement ??

Yes, I think this is a reasonable application of Lucene.  You
probably need a to customize analysis to handle your log files, but
the rest should be pretty straightforward.

>     b) I have tried to use SpanQuery however
> struggling to fetch entire conents e.g. (between two
> timestamps)

You're probably better off using the approach mentioned in c).   Also
search this list for usage of RangeFilter and  search this list for
log file searching, as I am sure this topic has come up before.

>     c) I had also looked at
> LargeScaleDateRangeProcessing in the wiki, is that a
> right approach for the requirement

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org