lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Rusch <mcru...@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject RE: giving different boost to different terms in a same document
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:06:47 GMT
It's definitely my understanding that this is not possible.  Maybe somebody
can give you a hardcore way of doing it by subclassing one of the classes
involved in indexing, but I'm too green for that :)

One solution that may or may not work depending on how specific you want to
get is that you can put the more highly boosted terms in separate fields,
and use field boosts.  Then, the magic you have to apply would be at query
time where you make sure that user's queries automatically get turned into
queries on all of the fields.

This is something that we are doing already, except it's only implemented in
my head...so it's more of a brainstorm than a proven technique...

Michael.