lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aleksander M. Stensby" <aleksander.sten...@integrasco.no>
Subject Re: Reviving a dead index
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:04:42 GMT
Hey, saw this old thread, and was just wondering if any of you solved the
problem? Same has happened to me now. Couldn't really trace back to the
origin of the problem, but the segments file references a segment that is
obviously corrupt/not complete...

I thought i might remove the uncomplete segment, but then i guess this
would f* up my segments file. Any taker on how to remove the segment in
question, and make the rest of the index work again?.. Since i guess its
not as straightforward to just remove the segmentname from the segments
file without changing some of the other crytic bytes aswell..?

- Aleksander

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 03:42:28 +0200, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> Stanislav Jordanov wrote:
>
>> For a moment I wondered what exactly do you mean by "compound file"?
>> Then I read http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html and got
>> the idea.
>> I do not have access to that specific machine that all this is
>> happening at.
>> It is a 80x86 machine running Win 2003 server;
>> Sorry, but they neglected my question about the index is stored on a
>> Local FS or on a NFS.
>> I was only able to obtain a directory listing of the index dir and
>> guess what - there's no a /*_1j8s.cfs * /file at all!
>> Pitty, I can't have a look at segments file, but I guess it lists the
>> _1j8s
>> Given these scarce resources, can you give me some further advise about
>> what has happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening
>> again?
>
> I'm assuming this is easily repeated (question from my last email) and
> not a transient error?  If it's transient, this could be explained by
> locking not working properly.
>
> If it's not transient (ie, happens every time you open this index),
> it sounds like indeed the segments file is referencing a segment that
> does not exist.
>
> But, how the index got into this state is a mystery.  I don't know of
> any existing Lucene bugs that can do this.  Furthermore, crashing
> an indexing process should not lead to this (it can lead to other things
> like only have a segments.new file and no segments file).
>
> Were there any earlier exceptions (before indexing hit an "improper
> shutdown") in your indexing process that could give a clue as to root
> cause?  Or for example was the machine rebooted and did windows to run
> a "filesystem check" on rebooting this box (which can remove corrupt
> files)?
>
> Mike

Aleksander M. Stensby
Software Developer