lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: injecting fields looked up from DB at the runtime - Solr/Lucene question
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:36:29 GMT
On 11/5/06, Vladimir Olenin <VOlenin@cihi.ca> wrote:
> - when the Hits objects are returned from IndexSearcher (as a result of some search),
'inject' 'info' fields into the 'Hit' objects at runtime by looking the values up in the DB.
The main purpose is to avoid storing 'info' fields in the index as 'stored' fields.

Yes, I've considered doing that at the Solr layer... adding something
like a subclassable SolrDocument.  An implementation could add other
fields by retrieving them from a database.

Upsides: simpler clients that don't need to understand where stored
fields are coming from.
Downsides: you tie yourself to a database (another thing to worry
about in an environment where you need HA).

-Yonik