lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Indexing floating point number
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:34:46 GMT
On 11/2/06, Nadav Har'El <nyh@math.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006, Yonik Seeley wrote about "Re: Indexing floating point number":
> > >   longer strings than Solr's NumberTools. Moving to base 100 or even 256
> > >   (as I suggest in the comments) can eliminate this difference.
> >
> > Or higher, depending on what you are optimizing for.
> > If you are going to hold String instances in memory (like the
> > FieldCache does) it's probably better to use more of those 16 bit
> > chars.
>
> This is a good point. I was thinking byte arrays, but indeed terms are
> Strings, not byte arrays.

For now :-)
I think byte arrays may be in lucene's future:
http://www.nabble.com/storing-term-text-internally-as-byte-array-and-bytecount-as-prefix%2C-etc.-tf1540279.html#a4220593

And if we kept UTF8 in byte arrays, the next logical question would
be, why not just allow binary in there too :-)

-Yonik