lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Implementing scoring in Lucene
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:37:53 GMT

: Is there a step by step guide on how to implement the scoring function
: for Apache Lucene?
: The help given on the website is not easy to follow.
:
: How do I integrate the search function into my website?

First off, what help did you look at? ... did you start with the tutorial?
  http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/gettingstarted.html

Second, you don't really need to "implement the scoring function" if your
goal is to just "use Lucene" .. the scoring documentation on the website
is for people who want to get in to the low level internals and write
their own classes of Queries.

If you are looking for an easy way to add a search box to your website,
then you might want to start by using one of the products that are built
on *top* of Lucene -- isnstead of building something from scratch using
the Lucene Java API.  depending on your needs Nutch, or Solr might work
well for you -- but if you really want to write a a search application,
start by understanding the code used in the getting started tutorial i
linked to above.

-Hoss